List:       pine-info
Subject:    Screen (was Re: Pine 4.0)
From:       Rob Fulwell <miser () u ! washington ! edu>
Date:       1996-11-28 1:36:02

On 27 Nov 1996, Holger Lillqvist wrote:

> Thanks for interesting suggestions - got me realize it's time to enhance
> my working routines. Starting slowly, I am beginning with 'screen', a
> unix program allowing you simultaneously to run several programs on
> full-screen windows, switching between which is lightning fast. Xterm
> next...

Let me make a small off-topic comment that Screen is perhaps the single
most useful program I have ever seen.  I regularly connect from many
different types of machines (Xterms, Windows and Mac, and my home machine
is a Linux box) and Screen allows me to run a half-dozen of my favorite
programs (some on remote computers) from all these platforms and switch
instantly between them.  The program is very configurable and can even be
password protected.  The ability to detach from a Screen session and
re-attach to all the (still running but sleeping) processes at any time
works so well that I will often run the same instance of Pine for weeks at
a time, although I may access it from dozens of different computers.

I'm also quite thrilled that the combination of Linux/Screen/14.4k modem
has enabled my 386 to retain usefulness as an actual computing tool,
rather than just a doorstop.

<end gush mode>
--
Rob Fulwell <miser@u.washington.edu> DoD#0718-GS850L ACCUSTAT:0.640