List:       pine-info
Subject:    Re: Recalling expunged postings..
From:       Mike Brudenell <pmb1 () mailer ! york ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1996-02-29 14:32:21

Once messages which have been marked for deletion have been Expnged (X)
or implicitly expunged (by exiting Pine and allowing it to expunge your
folder) they have been permanently removed from the file containing the
mail folder.

Your only hope is to go and be VERY nice to the person(s) who manage your
computers and ask them if it is possible to get the file(s) in question
back from the security dumps.  (This assumes that they periodically make
such dumps, copying the computer's disks to tape, etc.)

What happens next depends on their policy: here we would be very
reluctant to do so unles the message(s) were EXTREMELY important and the
information could not be re-requested; it takes some hours to restore
files from our dumps.

Cheers,

Mike Brudenell                                         <pmb1@york.ac.uk>
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York, YO1 5DD, UK
Tel: +44-1904-433811  FAX: +44-1904-433740  http://www.york.ac.uk/~pmb1/