List:       pine-info
Subject:    IMAP with NIS on Solaris
From:       mitchell () envy ! ph ! ed ! ac ! uk (Paul Mitchell)
Date:       1995-09-29 8:44:40

Apologies if this isn't the appropriate place for a question on imapd, but
pine users are my best guess for people who know about imap.  If there's
somewhere more appropriate for me to go, e.g. FAQ, newsgroup, etc. then please
let me know.

I'm new to IMAP, and I've compiled it up on a Sun running Solaris 2.4.  It
works great for users with local password entries, but fails to authorise
connections for users in my YP database.  To check I tried a direct
connection to the imap and pop ports:

# telnet <host> 143
Connected to <host>.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK <host> IMAP2bis Service 7.8(92) at Fri, 15 Sep 1995 14:46:23 +0100 (BST)
A001 LOGIN <username> <passwd>
A001 NO Bad LOGIN user name and/or password

# telnet <host> 110
Connected to <host>.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <host> POP3 3.3(18) w/IMAP2 client (Comments to MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU) at Fri, \
15 Sep 1995 14:47:04 +0100 (BST) user <username>
+OK User name accepted, password please
pass <passwd>
-ERR Bad login

I've checked this by transposing the same username from the local passwd file
to YP and vice versa.

It may also be worth saying that I implemented YP in the "Solaris" way, so it
still uses a shadow password file, though not in the standard place, /etc.

Any suggestions etc. grovellingly received.

Paul

--
     \\\