List:       pine-info
Subject:    Re: www
From:       jsbell () acs ! ucalgary ! ca (Joshua Bell)
Date:       1994-08-21 8:51:39

In article <336t6e$rua@montego.umcc.umich.edu>, Scott Gifford <ottscay@umcc.umcc.umich.edu> wrote:
>Lance K. Chun (lance@rahul.net) wrote:
>: In article <Pine.3.89.9408191434.A961-0100000@gnofn.ucc.uno.edu>,
>: jbray@gnofn.ucc.uno.edu (Jessica Bray   LLE) wrote:
>
>: > Has anyone interfaced WWW and Pine mail?

>: Why would you want to do that? It doesn't make any sense.

Yeah, you want to do it the other way; have your WWW browser
behave as a MIME-compliant mail reader as well. I'm not sure that
any do that yet, however.

>  It makes sense if you send hypertext (HTML) mail...if I'm writing somebody
>about WWW, I find it easier to put an HTML command (like
>view it as HTML, you can just "click" on the link to see what I'm talking
>about...I use elm and just pipe my message in; Pine might be able to handle
>it as part of a MIME message.  Or by just exporting it to a file and typing
>"lynx filename".

I have a utility that you (and others) might like. It is still
"beta" (and I think it'll stay beta forever, and be superceded by
browser functions like the above, but I digress), but it works.

Take a peek at: http://www.ucalgary.ca/~jsbell/tools/fwebp.html

Or, if you're not using a utility like that, and want it as an anchor:

This will take you to the documentation</a>

(It requires Perl and runs under Unix, for the record.)

I use it for doing exactly what the above poster suggests
(although you can't pipe things to Lynx on my system) using
macros in my newsreader and mailer programs. Suggestions and
comments greatly appreciated (as would be an offer to help make
it handle MIME documents, but again I digress).

Joshua
--
__  __  __  __  __  __  __  __Joshua_Sean_Bell__(jsbell@acs.ucalgary.ca)__
\ \/  \/ /\/  \/ /\/  \/ / |"There's far too much to take in here, more to|