List:       pine-info
Subject:    Re: Pine spelling checker user word list?  HOW TO DO IT !  (long)
From:       mramey () u ! washington ! edu (Mike Ramey)
Date:       1994-05-31 16:40:23

>Thomas R Rocek (rocek@strauss.udel.edu) wrote:
>: I am using Unix pine, and our system has a spelling checker built in.  I like
>: using it, but I haven't been able to figure out any way to store words
>: (like my name or e-mail address) that appear in every message...so each
>: time I use the checker, I have to tell it to ignore each of these words.
>: Is there a way of creating a user word list which the pine spelling checker
>: will recognize, so that it doesn't flag those words as misspelled?  Thanks
>: a lot for any advice...Tom Rocek

I hope the following information is correct and helpful.
It is a summary of email messages over several months.
--Mike Ramey

----------------------
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 1994 14:15:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Mike Ramey <mramey@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Pine & ispell - alternate spell-checker.

I hope the following is an accurate summary of the ways you can
use ispell with pine.  Please correct as necessary.
I think we should have a pine FAQ, and this should go in it.
-mr

From: Alan Robert Clark <clark@YingTongDiddleIPo.ee.wits.ac.za>

From: David L Miller <dlm@cac.washington.edu>

From: Mike Ramey <mramey@u.washington.edu>
 - Set 'editor=/usr/local/bin/ispell' in your '.pinerc' file.
 - See 'man ispell' for more information on the ispell program.

Now, when you press ^_ (^-) in pine, you will execute the 'ispell'
program in its native mode.  Press "?" for help.  Press "I" to
insert unknown words into the personal dictionary.  You can still
press ^T to use the standard pine spell-checking program (which
will -not- use your personal dictionary).

From: David L Miller <dlm@cac.washington.edu>
Pine already checks the SPELL environment variable.  I notice that someone
posted a shell script that allows ispell to be used like spell, ...

From: Mike Grupenhoff <kashmir@snare.dorm.umd.edu>
I'm not sure this is the correct way, but I just created the following
script and named it "spell."
     #!/bin/sh
     ispell -l | sort | uniq
It pretty much mimics spell's behavior.  Of course, there's probably a
better way, but this has worked for me.

From: Mike Ramey <mramey@u.washington.edu>
To make ^T in pine use 'ispell' and your '$HOME/.ispell_words' dictionary:
 - make the above script file 'spell' in your home directory
 - make it executable: 'chmod u+x spell'
 - set the environment variable SPELL: 'setenv SPELL $HOME/spell'
   (you may include this command in your .cshrc or .login file)

Now, when you press ^T in pine, you will execute the 'ispell' program,
and it will recognize words stored in the private dictionary.  The
screen display will look like pine is using the standard spell-checking
program.  Unfortunately, this method does not allow the user to "I"nsert
words into the private dictionary.  However, this might be useful with a
central script file (setenv SPELL ...)  and a central private dictionary
(ispell -p ...)  to provide a common private dictionary for an entire
workgroup.  The manager could add items to the private dictionary;
ordinary pine users would use the private dictionary (^T), but they
could not change it.

------------------------
From: Norman Friedman <norm@helix.nih.gov>
Please explain the "ispell" to us computer illiterates who use Pine
because it is so simple.  Thanks, Norm

From: Henry Kuo <hkuo@ocf.Berkeley.EDU>
Where can I get ispell?

From: Mike Brudenell <pmb1@tower.york.ac.uk>
...As long as people who don't use ispell aren't overlooked!
There is something positive to be said for using a "standard utility"
that is present on virtually every UNIX system under the sun as against
some optional software that MAY have been installed.  Mike Brudenell