List:       pine-info
Subject:    Re: NFS/Locking?
From:       Mark Crispin <mrc () Panda ! COM>
Date:       1994-01-30 0:01:52

On Sat, 29 Jan 1994, Alex Tang wrote:
> Hi.  this has probably been discussed before, but I was wondering how
> user-contention locking works when the user's spool directory is
> NFS-mounted.  Particularly, I have my spool directory NFS mounted to a
> bunch of different machines.  Normally, If I open two pine sessions from
> the same machine, the first session gets the lock taken away, and the
> INBOX becomres Read Only.  I just noticed that if I start pine from
> machine a, and while it is open, start a pine session from machine b (that
> has the same spool dir), they both have Read/Write access to the inbox.
> Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, you are doing something wrong, regrettably.  You are using NFS for
remote mail access instead of IMAP.

We understand that NFS access of mail is popular at many sites, and we go
to great lengths to try to make it work.  However, there are technical
limitations which severely restrict our ability to do so.  We believe
that Pine works as well over NFS as other UNIX mail tools; unfortunately,
we are (at least for the time being) unable to make NFS access via Pine
work at the same high standard we have for local access.

Pine's locking against multiple simultaneous read/write sessions only
works with local files.  It does not work over NFS.  At best, Pine is
reduced to the same level of interlocking as ordinary UNIX mail utilities
have; however, note that in certain circumstances that translates into
*no* locking at all.

Pine does try pretty hard to detect the situation in which locking has
failed and another mailer has stepped on Pine.  Unless Pine is absolutely
sure what it is doing is safe, it will decline to write to the mail file.