List:       pine-info
Subject:    Re: Suggestions to PINE improvment
From:       David L Miller <dlm () cac ! washington ! edu>
Date:       1994-01-26 17:05:11

Petr,

Thank you for the good suggestions!  See my comments below.

|\ |  |\/|  David L. Miller    dlm@cac.washington.edu  (206) 685-6240
|/ |_ |  |  Software Engineer, Pine Development Team   (206) 685-4045 (FAX)
University of Washington, Networks & Distributed Computing
4545 15th Ave NE, Seattle WA 98105, USA

On Wed, 26 Jan 1994, Petr Skoda wrote:

> Dear PINE developers,
> let me suggest several add-ons to your excellent program.
> I use it everyday and I am very satisfied with it.
> I came to PINE after notice of Barry Bouwsma in our local BITNET discussion
> list csinfo-l where  we had been just discussing methods of processing
> of incoming mail from listservers. Soon  after my comment that the Save
> should be done also by Sender field Barry modified the source of v 3.85
> and I am glad that you have included this in later versions
>
> After long time of usage of PINE I have several other ideas how to improve
> the management of mail from discussion lists:
>
> 1)  The sort-key option should include value "sender", so I could have all
>     mail from each listserver displayed together. Inside this should be
>     applied the option arrival.

This is a good suggestion.  We will also have other ways to group
messages in the next version of Pine.  e.g. you will be able to Zoom in
on a set of messages.

> 2) Some listservers have very unconvenient Sender field that says little
> about the subject of the list (e.g. one Czech discussion list on SCO
> machine have sender field   maiser.). So it would be nice to have some
> other configuration file (say .pinesaveto) which would map the sender:
> field to actual name of folder (including path)

The handling of the Sender field by listserv is very unfortunate.  There
have been some other suggestions how to handle a save-by-alias operation,
but we have not decided on a strategy yet.

> 3)  Other improvement could allow the save command from index screen with
> possibility of selection of several messages together (some form of marking
> -highlighting)  and all messages from each sender.

This is coming in the next version of Pine.

> 4) Other configuration option (say header-display  with values from:,
> sender:, recipient ... ) should change a form of presentation of headers
> in index. The from: field in massages form listserver is not very useful -
> better is sender:  (but may left as it is if the sort-by-sender will be
> used)

This is an interesting suggestion.  We will have to give it some
consideration.

> 5) For sending mail to international and local lists would be nice to have
> two various signatures (one in local language and in English). In BSD mail
> is the option ~A   ~a   for appending the .Signature  and .signature
> files respectively. I suggest the usage of some key to include the
> .Signature file or .signature          and have the possibility not to
> append it just after start of composing (say option   choose-signature)

Several variations of this have been suggested.  For now, you might try
naming your signature files .s and .S, then use ^R to read in the
appropriate one on each message.

> 6) There should be a possibility during Sending message to invoke a sendmail
> with -v (verbose mode) that displays a SMTP conversation between machines.
> It is useful when you try a new address and you are not sure wheather it is
> right or if you need to see that the massage was delivered to the target
> machine (to recipient) just now.
> I suggest either an  auxiliary question
> "Verbose sending ? [n]:" after ^X (Send) or two cases of Send command
> ^X  normal send in background
> ^x  verbose mode.

Hmmm...  This would definitely be a power-user feature...

BTW, ^x and ^X are the same character...

> I know that for processing of mail-lists there are better programs
> (e.g.procmail) but these will save incoming messages in time of delivery.
> But I want to see what has just come alltogether and then sort to various
> folders myself but with smallest effort (saving keystrokes).

Stay tuned, improvements are coming...