List:       pine-info
Subject:    Re: [Pine-info] Possible Bug:  Terminal garbled
From:       Christopher Fisk <chrisf () mhonline ! net>
Date:       2005-07-26 12:54:59

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Jeff Franklin wrote:

>>  On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Michael Abbott wrote:
>
> The posting you cite from the redhat list is correct on two counts.  Pine
> does not yet display in UTF-8, and your system is set up to only display in
> UTF-8.  This can result in a garbled screen, and you can get around this by
> changing the your system's locale.  IIRC I did this on my RH9 system by
> making a change to /etc/sysconfig/i18n, changing the line:
>
> LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
>
> to:
>
> LANG="en_US.ISO-8859-1"

I'm not running redhat but this does give me someplace to start.

> and resetting my X session.
>
> I think that's all it took, but a quick test of my Fedora Core 3 server
> still seems require something more.
>
> One way to test that your system is set up to display with 8859-1 is to run
> the command: echo -e '\340'
> From your konsole.  It should display an e with a grave accent.  You'll
> notice that it will always display correctly on the "xterm" program.

When I run it in konsole it just gives \340, when I run from xterm it
gives an A with a accent.

> Ideally, there would just be a menu option to switch display locales from
> konsole, as is possible with OS X's terminal program.
>
> Linux desktops seem to have gone from not being able to recognize UTF-8 to
> only being able to recognize UTF-8.  Maybe there is an obvious way to switch
> the desktop (or konsole session) from UTF-8 to non-UTF-8, but I sure don't
> see it.

This certainly gives me someplace to look, (And I believe solves the gnome
users issues).  Thank you Jeff.

Christopher Fisk
--
BOFH Excuse #361:
Communist revolutionaries taking over the server room and demanding all