List:       pine-info
Subject:    Re: Pine slowdown since 4.60
From:       NM Public <agorae () nm ! deflexion ! com>
Date:       2004-11-05 8:46:31

On 3 Nov 2004 Eduardo Chappa (chappa@math.washington.edu) wrote:

> :) On 2 Nov 2004 Steve Hubert (hubert@washington.edu) wrote:
> :) > Indeed, you are correct. The presence of keywords does cause the
> :) > message by message copy to happen because the IMAP spec did not say
> :) > that keywords should be preserved and some servers don't, in fact,
> :) > preserve the keywords.
>
> It only happens if at least one selected message contains a keyword. Non
> selected messaged do not influence this.

Thanks Eduardo. I just updated my Power Pine page so it includes
this in the "Speed Tips" section:

--- begin tip ---
11. Yet another hidden feature is save-aggregates-copy-sequence.
Setting this, which is the default, "may save network traffic
when the source and destination folders are on the same IMAP
server." I prefer to unset this so that the order of messages is
preserved when I do an aggregate save. Note that, as discussed
here and here, this feature has no effect if keywords are present
in the messages that are being copied.
--- end tip ---

This and the other speed tips are here:

  <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#speed>