List:       pine-info
Subject:    Re: Pine 4.60 is now available
From:       Jeff Franklin <jpf () cac ! washington ! edu>
Date:       2004-05-11 3:56:37

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Matt Ackeret wrote:

> Does this mean that pine will do exactly (or possibly the equivalent of)
> calling the command line "open" on the attachment?
>
> e.g. I could just hit return on a pdf attachment and it'll open in Preview,
> or a Word file would open in Word?

The idea is that it will go by the MIME type, so it's not quite the same
as doing an 'open'.  In most cases the behavior is equivalent to doing an
'open', except in cases where the attachment itself is something different
thatn what it's advertising itself as, which can often be cause for
concern.  In your two examples above it will do exactly what you expect
them to (assuming they're the correct MIME type).

The aim is to use Mac's mechanism for MIME handling, since they completely
did away with mailcaps and mime.type files.

Viewing a URL has the exact same effect as doing an 'open' on the URL.

> (If so, where does it save the attachments?  Maybe I can set up a directory
> where it dumps these things by default?)

If I remember correctly, they're going into /var/tmp.  Pine tries to never
strand files there, so it will try to wait for a moment that it thinks
will be safe to remove them.

Jeff