List:       pine-info
Subject:    Re: Formatting error message -- why did it come up?
From:       Steve Huston <huston () astro ! princeton ! edu>
Date:       2004-03-05 14:27:58

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Matt Ackeret wrote:
> Part of a message from a mailing list:
> without initializing it anywhere, ucontrol wouldn't load (I made that
> mistake accidentally). Is that normal ?? That seems stran
>    [Error: Formatting error: Non-hexadecimal character in QP encoding]

I just started noticing the same thing on some mails I've been getting.  Seems
to be in random locations, but usually in the middle of a line:

============
> stop working.

Andre,

read the documentation (INSTALL) and/or check the code.
INSTALL says :
<<
- Perl version 5.005 or later is needed. At the moment Perl 5.8.2, 5.8.1
  and 5.6.1 seem to be
   [Error: Formatting error: Non-hexadecimal character in QP encoding]
============

There doesn't seem to be a difference if I look at the full headers or not, it
still shows the error message.  Tried exporting the message to a file, and
that didn't work either (gave the same error, followed by "Error on export:
Success" though the file was zero-bytes).

Viewing the message in Squirrelmail, I see the whole thing:

============
> stop working.

Andre,

read the documentation (INSTALL) and/or check the code.
INSTALL says :
<<
- Perl version 5.005 or later is needed. At the moment Perl 5.8.2, 5.8.1
  and 5.6.1 seem to be most predictable. If UTF8/Unicode Perl support
  is needed, use 5.8.1 or later, and the most recent MailTools.

If It was changed, RELEASE_NOTES would also mention it.

For completeness, running Postfix 2.0.4, amavisd-new-20030314, and Cyrus IMAPD
2.1.12, Pine version 4.44.

--
Steve Huston - Unix Systems Admin, Dept. of Astrophysical Sciences
 Princeton University  |     ICBM Address: 40.346525   -74.651285