List:       pine-info
Subject:    Re: Problem with %s expansion (ssh)
From:       Nancy McGough <nm-reverse-spam-filter () ii ! deflexion ! com>
Date:       2003-05-14 8:16:27

On 13 May 2003 Kenneth Crudup (kenny@panix.com) wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2003, Hugh MacMullan wrote:
>
> > Hey, I've gotten pine with ssh/imap working:
>
> Why would I use this vs. standard SSL/TLS IMAP from my provider?

If you have ssh access to the system that's running the IMAP
server, the advantage over SSL/TLS is that you can access the
IMAP server using ssh keys rather than passwords. This is useful
if you want to avoid typing your password and you are using a
version of Pine that was not built with PASSFILE support. And
even if you have the option of using the Pine PASSFILE, it's
better because the Pine PASSFILE is very easy to crack (I do it
every time I forget a password!).

Hope this makes sense,
Nancy

--