List:       phpslash
Subject:    [PHPSLASH] User Login Patches
From:       Russell Miller <rmiller () duskglow ! com>
Date:       2000-03-01 3:42:06

OK, apparently we've reached the conclusion that we will create an
"officially sanctioned" patch set for user logins.  Regardless of how we
arrange their inclusion into the main CVS tree, it's obvious that *something*
is going to be done along these lines.  This is a long and rambling missive,
but bear with me.

I realize that a bunch of you have been working on this on your own and
probably have some pretty nifty stuff.  This definitely shouldn't go to
waste.  But we have the unenviable position of having to coordinate our
development on some level with another group of developers whose changes
rightly have a higher priority.

So I think perhaps it would be a good idea to start out with an idea of
how we're going to proceed.  I'm thinking we should use a "milestone"
system.  We come up with milestones delineating the functionality we want
to add, then as each milestone is completed, providing it:

	- meets with the approval of the core team
	- integrates well with the core cvs packages (ie, doesn't break
		anything)

then we'd check it into the CVS.  Because the milestone would be a self-
contained improvement in itself, tested and suitable for release (though
not necessarily completely functional), it wouldn't be much of a disruption
when it is merged in.  Also, I'm thinking we should try our hardest to make
this as modular as possible.  I would consider a change a success if it
actually assists in the goal of splitting the application from the
presentation.

Of course, feel free to jump in, here.  This is only a proposal.

Development outside of these milestones could go on on a private basis,
but the changes could not be checked in until the goals of the milestone
are deemed reached and the changes synced up with the main codebase.

I can't figure out what the milestones should be to begin with, though.
I think some of the functionality, to begin with, is in phplib, and it just
has to be extended.  Maybe a good way to figure out the milestones is to
declare in advance which hooks we wish to implement, stick only to those
hooks, test them, consider them complete, check them in, and work on another
chunk.  This would have the added benefit of limiting the damage we could do
to the work the other team is doing, because they will always know exactly
what we are working on.  For example, we say "ok, we want to work on
comment authentication".  We work on it, we finish it, we check it in.  Then
we say "We want to work on preferences".  We work on that, we finish it, and
we check it in.  This way everyone knows exactly what we're doing.

No surprises.

Input on all of this is welcome.

--Russell

--
Russell miller - rmiller@duskglow.com - russell@know-where.com
The following sites are my own and do not necessarily represent

http://www.duskglow.com
http://www.singlegeek.com
http://www.whathaveyoudone.org

-