List:       phplib
Subject:    Re: [PHPLIB] hidden elements vs. registered vars
From:       "Claes MÃ¥nsson" <cj () samurajdata ! se>
Date:       2000-01-28 17:53:12

Chaco Taco skrev:

> Hello
> Has anyone formulated a standard operating procedure re. when to register
> vars as opposed to creating hidden form elements? I'm using both but I'm
> afraid to get carried away w/ either one:
> ex:
> registered -> $sql vars because I don't want anyone peeking
> hidden     -> query category, i.e. "all data", "completed trasnactions",
> "failed transactions", etc.
> I guess my rule of thumb is if it offers insight into the database, register
> it.
> Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Another consideration is the amount of data you're passing around. Since a
registered variable will only be processed locally, and not transmitted over the
internet, registering variables will cause your pages to be smaller, thereby
transmitting and loading faster.

The speed up is of course marginal in most cases, but I recently had to pass ~8K
of data around, and registering that data sure made a difference :-)

Hope this helps
/Claes
-
PHP3 Base Library Mailing List. Send messages to <phplib@lists.netuse.de>.