List:       phpdoc
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DOC] Updating our credits system
From:       Hannes Magnusson <hannes.magnusson () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-07-21 21:11:13

On Jul 21, 2011 9:12 PM, "Adam Harvey" <aharvey@php.net> wrote:
> On 21 July 2011 12:07, Hannes Magnusson <hannes.magnusson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you sure about that? I think you'll find that copyright is held by
>>> all contributors individually, so it's actually more accurate to point
>>> to the entire list for licensing purposes.
>>
>> That would mean we would need the approval of every single person in
>> that gigantic list to change the license.
>> It was hard enough to track down and contact the less-then-10 people lasttime
>
> Yep. That's why Wikipedia had to get the GFDL changed to allow them to
> convert to CC —  it was the only feasible way of doing it, since they
> couldn't contact all their contributors.
>
> It is a pain.

Right. Therefore having a little group of some sort makes that epic
pain into "just" much annoyance.

>>> It would be nice. We should be able to auto-generate something,
>>> really, based on commits.
>>

>> I don't like the idea of autogenerating such list. The black list
>> would be painful to manage (i.e. how would remove WS commits and
>> random weirdness?)
>
> I wouldn't even try to. They're not that big a percentage of our commits.
>
>> I'm sure it will take few weeks to get used to update a "NEWS" file on
>> every bugfix/new additions, and drive-by-committers will probably not
>> to do.. but in the longterm I still think its a better option.
>>
>> We could then manually rotate the list every once in a while, or even
>> create a rule in PhD to only list the last "100 entries" or whatever.
>
> How's this going to integrate with the online doc editor?

I suppose in the first few weeks you'd have to manually edit the file.
Afterwards we could add, on committing, "what do you want to have as
NEWS entry?" or when creating the patch or whatever. I'm sure we can
come up with something.

As for the presentation, I'd like it to be displaid on the frontpage
somehow, and on the rendered page itself, and on
php.net/manual/en/whats.new.in.the.docs.php or something along that
way.

The news entry could be contain the bug#, date, message, xml:id and username.
That way we could easily show the "edits to this page within the last
month (plus comments)", aggregate "who makes most bugfixes" and "other
modifications" and whatever....

-Hannes