List:       phpdoc
Subject:    [PHP-DOC] #39453 [Bgs]: Misleading note in ODBC Functions (Unified)
From:       "nick dot gorham at easysoft dot com" <phpdoc () lists ! php ! net>
Date:       2007-02-26 14:23:38

 ID:              39453
 User updated by: nick dot gorham at easysoft dot com
 Reported By:     nick dot gorham at easysoft dot com
 Bug Type:        Documentation problem
 PHP Version:     Irrelevant
 New Comment:

Hi,

I am not sure what the process is of supplying a patch to the docs, if
someone can point me at details, I will create one. Failing this I
would think the following changes would remove confusion, increase
information, and not plaster the docs with commercials.

I would remove the iODBC entry from the line:

"The following databases are supported by the Unified ODBC functions: »

And replace the note that follows it with:

"Note:  There is no ODBC involved when connecting to the above
databases. The functions that you use to speak natively to them just
happen to share the same names and syntax as the ODBC functions. To
enable generic ODBC support, use either iODBC or unixODBC to provide
full ODBC support.

Building PHP with support for one of these enables you to use any
ODBC-compliant drivers with your PHP applications. As PHP is built
linking to the ODBC driver manager, multiple drivers can be added later
as required, without requiring any change to PHP.

iODBC can be found at www.iodbc.org, and unixODBC at www.unixODBC.org."

Previous Comments:

[2007-02-24 21:59:19] dmytton@php.net

This note is specific to the databases mentioned - Adabas D, IBM DB2,
iODBC, Solid, and Sybase SQL Anywhere and whilst it says "enables you
to use any ODBC-compliant drivers with your PHP applications" imo it
doesn't imply that it is the only method.

Feel free to submit a patch if you think you can reword it so it is
clearer.

[2007-01-22 09:30:45] nick dot gorham at easysoft dot com

Maybe I am going mad then. If I look at the page to be found at
http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/ref.uodbc.php

The third paragraph from the top contains the following

"    Note:  There is no ODBC involved when connecting to the above
databases. The functions that you use to speak natively to them just
happen to share the same names and syntax as the ODBC functions. The
exception to this is iODBC. Building PHP with iODBC support enables you
to use any ODBC-compliant drivers with your PHP applications. iODBC is
maintained by  OpenLink Software. More information on iODBC, as well as
a HOWTO, is available at www.iodbc.org."

Its not a user contributed note, its in the body of the text.

[2007-01-22 01:57:15] didou@php.net

We cannot find the note you are referring to. Maybe it was a user
contributed note (and it was deleted).
 => Closed.

[2006-11-14 09:35:38] nick dot gorham at easysoft dot com

I see the note on the top of the page here.

http://uk.php.net/manual/en/ref.uodbc.php

"we can't possible accommodate users who don't set permissions properly
(and decide to rebuild PHP)."

Ok, thats always your decision, but the problem I see in this case is
its the note that was the reason the user "decided" to rebuild PHP, as
it gave the indication that to do what he wanted to do, a rebuild was
required replacing unixODBC with iODBC

[2006-11-11 18:08:40] sean@php.net

Which note do you mean? The note I see doesn't say the same thing you
indicate, but I might be just missing it.

Also, while your documentation problem may be justified, we can't

    http://bugs.php.net/39453

--
Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=39453&edit=1