List:       phpdoc
Subject:    [PHP-DOC] #37629 [Com]: register_globals makes $_SESSION misbehave
From:       "judas dot iscariote at gmail dot com" <phpdoc () lists ! php ! net>
Date:       2006-05-30 17:08:04

 ID:               37629
 Comment by:       judas dot iscariote at gmail dot com
 Reported By:      phpbugs at asystance dot nl
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: Windows XP / Debian Linux
 PHP Version:      4.4.2
 New Comment:

this is a "misfeature", and I don't think It would be fixed at all in
4.4 doing so, will break a lot code...

it is fixed in php6, since register_globals is gone.

Just Do not use register_globals.

Previous Comments:

[2006-05-29 15:52:26] phpbugs at asystance dot nl

changed version

[2006-05-29 15:49:32] phpbugs at asystance dot nl

------------
When register_globals = On (I know this is legacy), $_SESSION behaves
differently than the other superglobals and this (mis)behaviour is not
documented.

This is actually a duplicate of (or maybe just related to) bug #25110.
sniper@php.net calls this behaviour a "feature". I strongly disagree.

What we should agree on is that it's undocumented and unexpected.
Neither the documentation on register_globals nor the documentation on
superglobals mentions this. It also only works with $_SESSION (and not
with other superglobals), so the behaviour is very unexpected.

I tested this with two debian installations (4.4.2-1+b1 on Apache
2.0.55 and 4.3.10-16.8 on Apache 1.3.33) and the latest Windows zip
package 4.4.2 on Apache2.

Reproduce code:
---------------
<?php