List:       php-windows
Subject:    [PHP-WIN] Oracle8 ODBC connection Problem
From:       Ling Wang <LingWang () mail2 ! nai ! net>
Date:       2001-04-29 5:38:38

Hi Everyone,

I am running WinNT Server with service pack4. I am using IIS4.0 as web
server. The Oracle is Oracle8i on WinNT. I installed the latest PHP
(v4.04) and it works fine with ODBC driver for Microsoft SQL7.0 and
Access97 databases. However, I just can't get
it right for Oracle8i. I tested the ODBC connection for Oracle with
VB/ADO
and it works fine. Here are the error messages I am getting when I run

$connection_id = odbc_connect("OracleExample", "scott", "tiger");

Warning: SQL error: [Microsoft][ODBC driver for
Oracle][Oracle]ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name, SQL state
08001 in SQLConnect in

I also tried Oracle ODBC driver and I am getting the following:

Warning: SQL error: [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]Server rejected the connection.,
SQL state 08004 in SQLConnect

I then tried $connection_id = ocilogon("scott", "tiger", "ora0.OFFICE");

I got the following:

Warning: _oci_open_server: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

Again, I tested the service name with EasyConfig and SQLPlus. I also
tested ODBC set up with VB/ADO and they all work fine.

Can anyone tell me what went wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Ling Wang