List:       php-windows
Subject:    Re: [PHP-WIN] RE: PHP vs JSP ?
From:       Tom Mathews <tpm () st ! com>
Date:       2001-01-30 14:09:22

I agree with Simon

It is actually possible to work three tiers with PHP, but not so obviously as
JSP does.
The hit you take is performance, so it depends on what the application is
whether to use JSP or PHP.

Personally, for any e-commerce work I use PHP. It's very easy to get it hosted
and those few seconds difference in making the scripts immediately available
instead of caching them all could be the difference between a customer
continuing or hitting the back button.
For intranet applications, I've found a definite benefit in JSP (and dare I say
it ASP!). Performance is never such an issue, but scaleability might be, as is
the ability to use the windows API etc - you can of course write C modules for
PHP to do pretty well anything you fancy on any platform, but this may be too
much hassle for you.