List:       php-windows
Subject:    Re: [PHP-WIN] Re: [PHP-DEV] Microsoft Support of PHP on Windows
From:       62.251.31.78
Date:       2020-07-10 18:49:57

Sam Hobbs in php.windows (Fri, 10 Jul 2020 10:48:05 -0700):
>I do not understand why it is Microsoft's responsibility to build PHP.
>They did not develop it.

They contributed a lot in making PHP perform better on Windows. In the
beginning that was Pierre Joye and later Anatol Belski (weltling).

>I was able to build PHP and when I suggested that the instructions be
>improved the suggestion was rejected, I think because it would make the
>instructions version-dependent. I think it is reasonable for the
>instructions to be version-dependent.
>
>In php.internals: Re: Re: Microsoft Support of PHP on Windows
><https://news-web.php.net/php.internals/110923> Jan says:
>
>> Sometimes I have to patch them a little to get them building.
>
>The PHP build could be cleaned up. Perhaps Microsoft is tired of
>tolerating it. If so then it seems that no one in a position to clean up
>the PHP build is willing to do that.

With the introduction of the Windows build environment for PHP 7.2+
building the PHP core is really cleaned up. It is the extennsion
developers that sometimes need a little push to make the extensions
upwards compatible.

I really do hope that Christoph M. Becker (cmb69) keeps on maintaining
the build environment.
--
Jan