List:       php-windows
Subject:    [PHP-WIN] Why does cli_set_process_title sometimes change the wrong process' title?
From:       tutiluren () tutanota ! com
Date:       2020-04-12 9:29:55

I currently only run PHP on Windows, so I have no idea if the same thing happens on \
the other platforms.

I frequently call cli_set_process_title() in my CLI PHP scripts to set the "process \
title". Normally, there are no problems at all.

However, on at least two separate occasions, the last time yesterday, something very \
strange happened at some unknown point: one of the cli_set_process_title() calls \
changed the process title of a completely different process/window: the PHP built-in \
webserver one!

I start both the built-in PHP webserver and my own PHP CLI scripts with .bat files. \
My CLI PHP scripts end up in the cmd.exe group in the Taskbar.

How can this be technically and logically possible? Is it a known issue? Is it known \
why and when this happens? I have no idea how I'd reproduce it since it rarely does \
this, but once it has done so, the process/window in question keeps its title \
forever, until I close it and restart it. (Which of course spawns a new process.)

This really frustrates me, because it's such a weird bug/glitch.