List:       php-windows
Subject:    Re: [PHP-WIN] crypt() with decription
From:       77.181.216.215
Date:       2007-12-04 17:32:08

I can only agree Bill and Elizabeth.

@Nishantha:
Do you only need a password-recovery function for registered users? Then
simply create an random-string, save it in an extra column of your Data
Stock and give it to the user. Also you can  - as Elizabeth wrote - use an
two-way-decryption and give the user the decrypted version. But that'll open
a huge securityhole in your application. Fact: Users will use the same
password in different systems. So first: Can and will the User trust you?
Second: Can you trust the people that can look into the database/file/stock?
Third: Can you by 100% trust your sourcecode, so that never a third party
hacks your system and decryps all passwords?

I would ever prefer an one-way-function when the project afford it.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Oliver Espeter

""Bill Bolte"" <billb@hightouchinc.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
There isn't a way to un-encrypt it, it's a one-way encryption
(http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.crypt.php). The user will have to
recreate their password.