List:       php-windows
Subject:    [PHP-WIN] Performance tuning #2
From:       145.236.220.115
Date:       2001-12-30 13:52:46

Hi,

This is the second post of this problem since I did not get any answer for
the first. Please, could someone out there help? Thanks in advance...

I wonder if there is any performance tuning newsgroup/faq/whatever related
to PHP. I searchead to no avail...

Anyway, my current mind boggler is: we are accumulating a large (~400k) XML
response in a string before sending it out by adding little pieces a time
(like 10-20 chars). Now this results in  very bad performance -- most
probably due to the fact that the string is enlarged/re-allocated thousands
of times. I would love to pre-allocate a big buffer for the string so that
performance gets better (something like SetLength() in Delphi). How can I do
this?

Xuse me if the answer is much too trivial, I'm a newbie in PHPland :-)

Thanks for any suggestion,

Peter