List:       php-qa
Subject:    [PHP-QA] Re: [PHP-DEV] RE: [PHP-QA] Re: [PHP-DEV] RE: [PHP-QA] PHP
From:       Melvyn Sopacua <msopacua () idg ! nl>
Date:       2002-07-28 19:41:12

At 20:44 28-7-2002, derick@php.net wrote:

> > Well. As I already said: Then there are'nt enough people for 4.3.0 too. Yes
> > I know, you are the maintainer of 4.2.x, Stig is the maintainer of 4.3.0.
>
>There are not enough people to do two releases at one time.

Actually - one issue there, are the tools for QA.

Like you said, back in April IIRC - the qa-web messages don't really make
it very
easy to track who found what bug, who fixed it, whether the fix was ok'd
and merged
and tested again, by others, to ensure platform compatibility.

These are basics of solid QA. Further more -the 4.3 testsuite allows for
much better
reporting and cooperation with QA-web. Is there any chance this could get
merged
to PHP_4_2_0 branch - I would be willing to create the tools to get the
logs in and store
them in some format/database so that it can be queried and analyzed.

if the extension of the log files, could change to .testlog then there's
also no conflict with
any existing file in the source tree (like config.log or stuff people make
up for themselves
while testing which is then suddenly sent to QA-web).

The other major problem is availibilty of platforms QA'd. Sebastian - I
trust you'll take the
two 64-bit systems you we're talking about?

I have an AIX box available, but it doesn't actively run php - it's a
DB-backend, so only
compilation issues I could track down.

The popular OS's get solid QA, but especially the commerical unices and
Windows (Markus,
Liz, other Sebastian and Derick and myselef IIRC).

I think that for many platforms we don't even have a person let alone two
(if there we're 2
QA's to be done).

Last but not least - the latest stable snapshot, don't contain all
bugfixes, as some have not
been fixed on both branches (xslt and sysvsem are 2 I know of).

Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards,

Webmaster IDG.nl
Melvyn Sopacua