List:       php-qa
Subject:    Re: [PHP-QA] Re: [PHP-DEV] Re: [PHP-QA] PHP 4.2.3 release process
From:       Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser () bellavista ! cz>
Date:       2002-07-26 12:27:45

> Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:56:12 +0200
> To: Sascha Schumann <sascha@apache.org>
> From: Melvyn Sopacua <msopacua@idg.nl>
> Cc: Derick Rethans <d.rethans@jdimedia.nl>,
> Subject: [PHP-QA] Re: [PHP-DEV] Re: [PHP-QA] PHP 4.2.3 release process
>
> At 09:43 7/25/2002 +0200, Sascha Schumann wrote:
>

> >> Maybe even comment on the MAKE env variable, I think it'll be OK.
> >
> >    Why do you want to remove existing and working functionality?
>
> Because it's only working, when using BSD make.
> The case statement in configure.in just plain assumes "when on BSD/OS
> we're using bsd make".

    sure. that's how it usually is, no? BSD oses install GNU make as
    gmake.

> I'm not, simply because php and apache are the only ones so considerate
> of BSD make so it makes no sence if you're installing and configuring
> software, to use bsd make as your default.

    I confess I'm not sure whether I parse the above sentence correctly.
    If so, rest assured that much more software than just PHP and Apache
    builds with the native FreeBSD make. In fact, whenever I build
    something outside the ports system, I use make, and only if that
    fails, gmake.

--
FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE
2:14PM up 10 days, 33 mins, 5 users, load averages: 0.03, 0.03, 0.00