List:       php-pear
Subject:    Re: [PHP-PEAR] PEAR issues #4 (tree structure, applications)
From:       André Langhorst <andre () php ! net>
Date:       2001-02-25 12:54:08

I think what Björn is pointing out will become important, but PEAR will be shipped \
with PHP in the future too. Of course. But only, the base classes which allow \
connecting and installing to pearweb to download and install further classes.

> What about a CPAN style installation program? I agree with Björn that at

here some off-list thoughts on this (maybe we should not move the installer ability \
to FUTURE rather than requiring it from the start), our INSTALLER should be \
PHPstylish (like PHP

***

- Display of a browsable PEAR tree that lists all PEAR classes and directories.
- Classes should be displayed with a version and a brief description.
(the best would be if we require all pear classes to have a __PEAR_version method \
that could be statically invoked, the descriptions should be kept in a centralized \
                file maybe)
- If an example is available it should be clickable to and displayed as highlighted \
code (we would have to to create unified example files)
FUTURE:
- I do not know the progress with stigs installer, but it would be fine if the \
installer could be started too (it would grab a class list or similar from \
pear.php.net and then you should be able to install new packages)

In brief, pearinfo() should allow people to know which classes are installed (and if \
PEAR is installed at all) currently with version and comment and later it should be \
possible to install new ones. Stig already has finished some work on the installer... \
it would be fine to discuss this on the list too. Of course this install \
functionality should not directly be involved with pearinfo(), simply forget it ;)

***

andré

--
· André Langhorst        t: +49 331 5811560 ·
· andre@php.net          m: +49 173 9558736 ·