List:       php-pear
Subject:    [PHP-PEAR] weird problems with PHP
From:       Alexey Borzov <borz_off () rdw ! ru>
Date:       2000-12-21 9:51:41

Greetings!

  I'm not sure if it's ready for a bugreport yet...

  Scripts that heavily utilise PHP4-specific functionality
(references, OO stuff), don't work properly. Unfortunately,
PEAR DB abstraction layer is one of such scripts...
  Here goes the story: I decided to tailor Phorum for my own needs
and at the same time test PEAR DB functionality by porting it from its own
DB-"abstraction" layer to PEAR DB.
  The problem arised with the posting page: sometimes it returned
zero-length response, while the messages got into the database OK.
Besides, if an "exit;" was put somewhere in the middle of the script,
it did produce some output. My guess was that PHP just silently crashed,
but Apache didn't dump core (nothing in error_log at least).
  Then I had similar problems with my own scripts (it was even weirder, as
variables' values were replaced by some rubbish). Simple test cases
work without any problems, but as scripts grow larger and more
complex, they just refuse to work properly.

  So, the question is: have anyone tried to use PEAR DB in complex
scripts and did he experience any weirdness in PHP's behaviour?

--
Yours, Alexey V. Borzov, Webmaster of RDW