List:       php-internals
Subject:    =?US-ASCII?Q?Re=3A_=5BPHP-DEV=5D_RFC_=5BDiscussion=5D=3A_Mark?= =?US-ASCII?Q?ing_overridden_methods_
From:       Rowan Tommins <rowan.collins () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-05-27 21:10:15

That's not what was being said at all, as is clear a couple of sentences later:

> If you don't habitually use these tools already, you're probably not going to be \
> annotating your code with #[Override] anyway.

The claim being made was not about good or bad programmers, or whether they *deserve* \
the benefit of the change; it was about whether it's likely that they'll *receive* \
the benefit of the change.

To rephrase, the proposal is for the engine to only warn about code where the \
attribute is present, not where it's absent, so for a user to benefit they have to \
edit their code to include it. If they edit their code and then run a static \
analyser, they don't need the attribute to be built into the engine; if they don't \
add it, the feature has zero benefit to them.

So the argument is that the key estimate for whether to include it in the engine is \
how many users will add the attribute, but not run a static analysis tool. If that \
number is very low, adding it to the engine has a very low value.

Regards,

--
Rowan Tommins
[IMSoP]