List:       php-internals
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DEV] [PHP 8.2] Feature freeze and new branch tomorrow
From:       96.61.105.82
Date:       2022-07-19 15:18:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

On 7/19/22 04:50, Christoph M. Becker wrote:
> On 19.07.2022 at 09:38, Jakub Zelenka wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Jul 2022, 02:57 Ben Ramsey, <ramsey@php.net> wrote:
>>
>>> We plan to cut the new PHP-8.2 branch tomorrow around 16:00 UTC. If
>>> there are still PRs open that folks have already discussed and agreed
>>> should go into 8.2, it's fine if they aren't merged yet. It'll all be
>>> taken care of. If a vote closes tomorrow after the branch is cut, and it
>>> passes, it will still make it into 8.2, so nothing to worry about there.
>>
>> I think this is not how it was done for previous version branches. I think
>> we created them when it got to RC stage. Any new features are on hold and
>> we (core devs) should mainly concentrate on bugs during beta. I would
>> prefer if it could stay that way as it reduces time of merging things.
>
> Indeed, docs/release-process.md is not up to date with our latest
> practices[1][2] where we only cut the branch prior to RC1.  I suggest to
> stick with that, and to update the documentation accordingly.
>
> [1] <https://externals.io/message/111849>
> [2] <https://externals.io/message/115906>
>
> --
> Christoph M. Becker

This was my mistake, and I apologize. I'm the one who changed the doc to
say the new branch should be created at feature freeze time. I was
confused about the rationale for this, but Christoph and I chatted
off-list, and now I understand why we do things this way.

The reason we leave 8.2 in the master branch until RC1 is so that major
improvements do not distract internals from getting 8.2.0 into a good
state for RC. So, for the next six weeks (from feature freeze to RC1),
the master branch is *only* for minor improvements and bug fixes. Major
improvements must wait.

So, to be clear: we are *NOT* creating the PHP-8.2 branch today (despite
what I said earlier).

After today, the master branch is frozen to new features and major
improvements, while we all focus on getting 8.2 ready for the first RC.

Again, very sorry for the confusion I've caused. I'll update the release
process doc accordingly.

Cheers,
Ben

["OpenPGP_signature.asc" (application/pgp-signature)]