List:       php-internals
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DEV][RFC][VOTE] Rename T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM to T_DOUBLE_COLON
From:       Claude Pache <claude.pache () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-06-29 7:08:46

> Le 28 juin 2020 à 00:53, G. P. B. <george.banyard@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> My perception is that most of the community finds it baffling why anyone
> would be against this change.

What baffles me, is the amount of discussion around changing the name of ONE token, \
whereas it is clear that a bunch of tokens (a few of them explicitly mentioned during \
the discussion phase of the RFC) have incomprehensible names, or worse, misleading \
names (T_STRING instead of T_IDENTIFIER), several of them appearing more often in \
error messages than T_DOUBLE_COLON (so, to be super-clear, I'm not talking about \
T_SL). And at this point I have still restricted my view to the issue of token name, \
whereas there is an obvious way to do better at relatively low cost, namely replacing \
the token name with a user-friendly description of the token.

I really appreciate the efforts made to make PHP better; thanks for that. But I \
friendly suggest that, each time you are going to propose an improvement, you take \
first a step back and consider how your change fits in its wider context.

—Claude