List:       php-internals
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DEV] High performance function autoloading
From:       Gabriel O <gadelat () gmail ! com>
Date:       2019-05-21 8:16:26

> On 20. May 2019, at 22:30, Theodore Brown <theodorejb@outlook.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 2:36 PM Gabriel O <gadelat@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, this is misconception. Namespace resolutions are cached. First
> > fixer tool bringing support for this was correct: PHP-CS-Fixer auto
> > imports only optimized functions for this very same reason.
>
> I'm confused, since this doesn't match what I've read elsewhere. For
> example, Nikita wrote the following last time function autoloading was
> discussed: [1]
>
> > Calling the autoloader if a global function with the name exists will
> > totally kill performance. This means that every call to strpos() or
> > any of the other functions in the PHP standard library will have to
> > go through the autoloader first, unless people use fully qualified
> > names (which, currently, they don't). This is completely out of the
> > question.

Check https://www.reddit.com/r/PHP/comments/b107c5/optimizing_your_php_app_speed/eim2lti \
<https://www.reddit.com/r/PHP/comments/b107c5/optimizing_your_php_app_speed/eim2lti> \
which is also comment from nikic. I guess there is some confusion core maintainers \
should clear up. Anyway, my point was if it improves perf of only some functions, \
this config should be named differently and not have impact on non-optimized ones.