List:       php-internals
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DEV] [RFC] Debugging PDO Prepared Statement Emulation
From:       Adam Baratz <adam.baratz () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-10-31 17:56:16

> There's value in improving tests for emulated prepares, but as I stated
> somewhere else, I would rather see them deprecated and removed rather
> than encouraged.

I left a note about this in the "Future Scope" section[1]. If we deprecate
emulated prepares, it would make sense to deprecate
PDOStatement::activeQueryString()
at the same time, since their utility is intertwined. But as long as
pdo_dblib is supported, the possibility of deprecating emulated prepares
shouldn't get in the way of being able to support it.

I thought about having PDOStatement::activeQueryString() trigger an error
and/or return false if emulated prepares aren't enabled. This would make
the usage clearer, but I thought it would be best to limit the side effects
of a debug tool.

Besides, I gather that FreeTDS also supports them since quite a long
> time, so I don't see why pdo_dblib should exclusively use and promote
> usage of emulated prepares.

FreeTDS supports them, but not through the DB-Library API. The other
APIs[2] implemented by FreeTDS support prepared statements.

---
[1] https://wiki.php.net/rfc/debugging_pdo_prepared_
statement_emulation#future_scope
[2] http://www.freetds.org/which_api.html