List:       php-internals
Subject:    [PHP-DEV] Best way to fix #71929 curl_getinfo($ch, CURLINFO_CERTINFO)
From:       Pierrick Charron <pierrick () adoy ! net>
Date:       2016-07-23 17:32:04

Hi,

I'm currently looking at bug #71929 and i'm wondering what is the best way
to fix it. Basically the bug is that currently ext/curl tries to parse the
"Subject" and "Issuer" returned by lib/curl to return this information as a
PHP array.

Here is the actual output :
array (
    'Subject' => array (
      'C ' => ' US, ST = New Jersey, L = Jersey City, O = The USERTRUST
Network, CN = USERTrust RSA Certification Authority',
    ),
    'Issuer' => array (
      'C ' => ' SE, O = AddTrust AB, OU = AddTrust External TTP Network, CN
= AddTrust External CA Root',
    ),
    /* ... */
)

I think the real output that curl_getinfo($ch, CURLINFO_CERTINFO) should
return is something like

array (
    'Subject' => 'C = US, ST = New Jersey, L = Jersey City, O = The
USERTRUST Network, CN = USERTrust RSA Certification Authority',
    'Issuer' => 'C = SE, O = AddTrust AB, OU = AddTrust External TTP
Network, CN = AddTrust External CA Root',
     /* ... */
)

https://github.com/adoy/php-src/commit/7a7fbd51e1d51fed380a6f391fe7b282b55224d7

Since curl returns this two informations as a string and nothing in the
documentation enforce the way this string is structured.
Problem is that this fix might break things. I tried to search on code
who's using this variable and did not find any.

Do you think I should push this change and then we could add something in
the release not to tell users that this was changed ?
On which versions should I fix this problem ?

Thanks for your feedback

Pierrick