List:       php-internals
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DEV] Animated running elephant
From:       Rowan Collins <rowan.collins () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-05-27 15:27:20

Alain Williams wrote (on 27/05/2014):
> The PHP manual pages used to have 'PHP' as an image at the top left, but I see
> today that we have an running elephant:
>
>      http://uk1.php.net/images/logo.php
>
> Yes, all very cute - but I have enough javascript/whatever making firefox eat my
> CPU without it having to display an animated image. Please can we go back to
> something static. It is also a visual distraction from the rest of the page.

Hi,

That's an Easter Egg that, with a certain probability, replaces your
logo with one of a set of alternative graphics.

I believe hard-refreshing the logo URL (see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:BYPASS) will force it to choose
again, and most likely revert to the standard logo.

Incidentally, there's a separate list for the documentation vs the
internals of PHP itself where this would be better addressed. See
http://php.net/mailing-lists.php

(On the other hand, if a small animated GIF is too much for your browser
to handle, I don't fancy your chances of using most modern websites
smoothly!)

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins