List:       php-internals
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DEV] Persistent PDO supports
From:       Lester Caine <lester () lsces ! co ! uk>
Date:       2014-05-27 5:48:16

On 26/05/14 22:20, Stas Malyshev wrote:
>>       I am just not sure, is the previous behavior is on purpose?  or
>> >any other reasons?
> No, I don't think it's on purpose, it looks like a bug.

PDO has a few simple assumptions, such as only allowing one connection
per transaction, which is fine for most engines, but Firebird/Interbase
has a very useful cross database transaction mechanism which PDO can not
support. Persistent connections are another are where it's how the
engine implements this which is the 'problem' as much as what PDO does.
What 'persist' says is basically say 'use an existing connection' so how
does sqlite actually support connection pooling? A quick scan of the
sqlite manual would suggest that it requires fully thread safe operation
to do that, and that you need a later version of sqlite. So is this an
engine specific problem or a problem with the way PDO tries to simplify
the connection model?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL