List:       php-internals
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DEV] [VOTE][RFC] Array Of
From:       Adam Harvey <aharvey () php ! net>
Date:       2014-02-28 18:00:07

On 28 February 2014 09:45, Andrea Faulds <ajf@ajf.me> wrote:

> On 28 Feb 2014, at 17:30, Bob Weinand <bobwei9@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I voted no now.
> >
> > a) This is something for PHP6 I feel (at least if the other RFCs were rejected \
> > for similar reasons) b) We are so close to beta 5.6 now, I think we should stop \
> > introducing bigger features which affect the language etc. now c) I'm not really \
> > sure if we want that featureā€¦ but that's another story...
>

> I also voted against. I don't like the [] syntax and PHP 5.6 is too close.

I was also -1, partly for those reasons, but also because I think we
need to take some time (probably in a PHP 5++/6/7/whatever context and
after 5.6 has been frozen) to figure out if we want generics and, if
so, what form they would take syntactically. My guess is that they
won't look anything like ClassName[], and I don't really want another
weird syntax appendix that we have to maintain and document for a
decade or more to come.

Adam