List:       php-internals
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DEV] SPL Binary Tree, Graph
From:       Levi Morrison <morrison.levi () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-07-19 14:07:43

>  I would like to ask you what is your opinion about implementing Binary
>>> Tree
>>> and Graph data structures in SPL in addition to existing ones? IMHO it
>>> would be great because that will prevent from inventing a wheel all the
>>> time, and prove that PHP is full featured language like C#, Java, ...
>>>

>> Convince me with use-cases; I don't think proving that we're as
>> "full-featured" as C# is helpful, healthy or necessary.

Use cases I can think about are social, network, geographical, connected
> flights graphs, work with hierarchical data like corporations structures,
> products categories, indexing objects tree stored in memory/cache and PHP
> web applications representing those relations and solving common problems
> (has connection, shortest path, MST, recommendations in social graph,
> search)

If you can extract a useful, common API for all of those tasks then I would
definitely support implementing Graphs in the SPL.

Maybe in a real world, because of PHP performance it probably will not be
> so effective anyways

If we end up putting graphs in the SPL then performance would be a big
reason to do so; it would be written in C.