List:       php-internals
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DEV] date.timezone =?UTF-8?Q?E=5FWARNING=20--=20Really?= =?UTF-8?Q?=20necessary=3F=20What=2
From:       Pierre Schmitz <pierre () archlinux ! de>
Date:       2013-05-25 12:30:28

Am 25.05.2013 14:09, schrieb Pierre Joye:
> On May 25, 2013 12:31 PM, "Tim Starling" <tstarling@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> .
>>
>> It's Derick's prerogative to annoy all users half to death with
>> warnings, as his way of indicating his distaste for the state of OS
>> support for querying of system timezone.
>
> It is actually only about getting safe, cross platform/OS (even between
> Linux versions) for the TZ database. It has nothing to do with taste or
> similar subjective opinion.
>
> For the record, the behavior requested in this thread is what we had in
> earlier versions, all we got was plenty of bugs reports about wrong TZ
> detections.
>
> I think it is not too much asking to set it in php.ini or in your
> application.

Wouldn't it be possible to have it default to the system's timezone if
available? Most software seems to be able to use the correct timezone.
From a user's pov it is strange that PHP is pretty much the only service
which has to have it's own timezone configuration.

Or maybe one could make it a compile time option and distros that for
some reason have no usable system time zone can disable this feature.

Greetings,

Pierre