List:       php-internals
Subject:    [PHP-DEV] PHP 5.5 and APC user cache upgrade path
From:       Pierre Schmitz <pierre () archlinux ! de>
Date:       2013-05-09 12:02:58

Hi,

I am testing PHP 5.5 atm and how we can package it for Arch Linux and
provide an upgrade path for users. The RC1 looks pretty solid so far.

As the new opcache does not provide a user cache to store custom
variables, I would be glad if you could clarify what the best migration
from 5.4 would be.
* Is APC basically dead and wont support PHP 5.5?
* Should APC users switch to opcache and APCu? (with APCu replacing the
APC package)

For PHP application developers:
* Regarding APCu: it provides the old PHP interface function as well as
their own apcu_* functions. They are aliases right now. Should
application developers think about switching to the apcu_-API as new
features will be available only here?

Bonus question:
* Right now very similar functionality is provided by APCu, XCache,
WinCache, YAC etc.. Are there plans to include such functionality inside
PHP in future to make application developers life a little easier? At
least a common API would be great. There were several bugs in
applications as these modules behave a little different regarding return
values etc..

Greetings,

Pierre