List:       php-internals
Subject:    [PHP-DEV] JSON changes in 5.3/5.4
From:       Stas Malyshev <smalyshev () sugarcrm ! com>
Date:       2012-06-30 22:59:36

Hi!

I see that there were significant changes committed to JSON extension in
5.3 and 5.4 recently. These changes modify json_encode behavior, break
tests (pass001.1_64bit.phpt does not work anymore for me), are not
clearly documented and have no NEWS/UPGRADING entries describing what
exactly changed, had no RFC, use new function with name inconsistent
with all existing functions with the same semantics
(json_last_error_msg) and IMO do not belong in stable branches,
especially not done this way.

I intend to release 5.4.5 RC1 next week, and I want this matter to be
cleared up before that, because I can not release it in this state. So
we have two options here:
1. Revert everything to 5.4.4 state and deal with it in 5.5 or maybe in
5.4.6 if it'd be ready.
2. Have it cleaned up ASAP and brought to a state where there are no
test failures and there's a clear description of what the changes were
in NEWS and UPGRADING.

I think option 2 is better, but if it can not happen by EOD Tuesday
(July 3) I intend to go with option 1. Nikita, please advise how you
prefer to proceed with this.

Johannes, do you want me to revert it in 5.3 branch too in case we have
to go with option 1?
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/