List:       php-internals
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DEV]  More formal feature request cycle
From:       Stas Malyshev <smalyshev () sugarcrm ! com>
Date:       2010-09-16 17:55:35

Hi!

>>> This thought is brought on mainly by watching the annotations
>>> drama that is currently occupying internals, does anyone else
>>> agree it might be a good idea to have a slightly more formal
>>> procedure for requesting features and then recording votes pros,
>>> cons, side effects, etc. against it. It might do a fair bit to
>>> stop anecdotal talk of how many people actually want a feature,
>>> and stop the list retreading the same arguments over and over
>>> again. Have no idea just yet what this would look like, but an
>>> thinking something between launchpad and the current php wiki.

I agree that some rules about how we do this would be good. PHP now is
big enough and complex enough and the community is diverse enough that
we can engage in a discussion for months and the only result would be
that everybody is so exhausted that they lose the understanding where we
are, what we arrived at and nobody has any idea what's going on. And
then people get frustrated and resort to cowboy comitting, etc.
We do not need to have bureaucracy like Java, but some semi-formal
process with results being recorded - as PEPs, for example - would do
good, IMHO.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/