List:       php-internals
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DEV] New INIs, Round Three
From:       Richard Quadling <rquadling () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-26 12:29:14

2009/2/25 Richard Quadling <rquadling@googlemail.com>:
> 2009/2/22 Eric Stewart <ericleestewart@gmail.com>:
>> I made the following changes to the new INIs based on feedback mostly from
>> this list. Here are the changes.
>> 1. Changed production value of error_reporting to E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED.
>>
>> 2. extension_dir is now commented in both INIs.
>>
>> 3. enable_dl is now set to Off in both INIs. This was not added to the Quick
>> Reference section as PHP NEWS has this value now changed to Off as of 5.3.
>>
>> 4. Changed doc references that had us2.php.net to www.php.net.
>>
>> 5. Changed point 6 in the About php.ini section from:
>>
>> ; 6. Windows directory (C:\windows or C:\winnt), or --with-config-file-path
>> ; compile time option.
>>
>> to:
>>
>> ; 6. The directory from the --with-config-file-path compile time option, or
>> the
>> ; Windows directory (C:\windows or C:\winnt)
>>
>> 6. Changed comments about Dynamic Extensions to include the addition of
>> paths. The new comment regarding this now reads:
>>
>> ; If you wish to have an extension loaded automatically, use the following
>> ; syntax:
>> ;
>> ;   extension=modulename.extension
>> ;
>> ; For example, on Windows:
>> ;
>> ;   extension=msql.dll
>> ;
>> ; ... or under UNIX:
>> ;
>> ;   extension=msql.so
>> ;
>> ; ... or with a path:
>> ;
>> ;   extension=/path/to/extension/msql.so
>> ;
>> ; If you only provide the name of the extension, PHP will look for it in
>> it's
>> ; default extension directory.
>>
>> 7. A few small grammatical and spelling mistakes have been fixed.
>>
>> 8. On a vote of 10 to 1. The production INI value for
>> allow_call_time_pass_reference is now set to Off (Issue Warnings).
>>
>> That's all the changes made this round. You can view the revised versions
>> at:
>> http://wiki.php.net/rfc/newinis
>>
>> Please let me know if there are any other adjustments we need to make. From
>> the looks of things, I think we are getting close to moving this RFC from
>> Active to Accepted. So let me know what you think.
>>
>> Eric Lee Stewart

Should extension inter-dependency of extensions be shown in the INI file.

For example, mbstring must be loaded before exif and mailparse, and
bz2 before bcompiler, as well as pdo before the pdo_xxxx

; extension = php_mbstring.dll
; extension = php_exif.dll ; Requires php_mbstring.dll to be loaded
before this extension
; extension = php_mailparse.dll ; Requires php_mbstring.dll to be
loaded before this extension

; extension = php_bz2.dll
; extension = php_bcompiler.dll ; Requires php_bz2.dll to be loaded
before this extension

Also, some extensions require external libraries ...

; extension = php_ibm_db2.dll ; Requires external libraries
; extension = php_ifx.dll ; Requires external libraries
; extension = php_ingres2.dll ; Requires external libraries
; extension = php_maxdb.dll ; Requires external libraries
; extension = php_mcve.dll ; Requires external libraries
; extension = php_netools.dll ; Requires external libraries
; extension = php_oci8.dll ; Requires external libraries
; extension = php_openssl.dll ; Requires external libraries
; extension = php_oracle.dll ; Requires external libraries
; extension = php_pdo_ibm.dll ; Requires external libraries
; extension = php_pdo_informix.dll ; Requires external libraries
; extension = php_pdo_oci.dll ; Requires external libraries
; extension = php_pdo_oci8.dll ; Requires external libraries
; extension = php_pdo_pgsql.dll ; Requires external libraries
; extension = php_pdo_sqlite_external.dll ; Requires external libraries
; extension = php_pgsql.dll ; Requires external libraries
; extension = php_ssh2.dll ; Requires external libraries
; extension = php_sybase_ct.dll ; Requires external libraries

; extension = php_iisfunc.dll ; Requires external services
; extension = php_sam.dll ; Requires external services

Whilst PHP4 is still present, there are some extensions which are
available, but not for PHP5+
; extension = php_db.dll ; Not available for PHP5+
; extension = php_domxml.dll ; Not available for PHP5+

Richard.
--
-----
Richard Quadling