List:       php-internals
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DEV] Re: Adding a property to an object
From:       Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-20 23:03:26

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Matthew C. Rice <mrice@rcs.us> wrote:

> David,
>

>   I personally have not read that book, as I actually heard pertaining to
> objects ( where I too have had some issues ) it wasn't really a terrific
> reference. Though if this is not the case, I would love to hear otherwise..

i found the oop section a bit lacking.  one of the main issues is that the
chapters are titled "php4 objects", "php5 objects", but really overall
material is spread between the two chapters.  like the section "working with
instances" in the php4 objects chapter.  where was its counterpart in the
php5 objects chapter?  what you begin to realize is a lot of the things are
exactly the same, but i thought at least the organization was a bit awkward.

also, im not sure if when zend_call_method and its variants appeared, i
suspect after the books publication perhaps.  that seems to be the way to
go, calling class/object methods.  the book illustrates call_user_function()
which by comparison is really painful in working w/ objects imo.

all-in-all though id say the book is solid.  ive been able to accomplish
everything ive wanted so far with my first extension.  i dunno, ive not
worked with a lot of C api's so far, but i think id probly have struggled
getting started w/o the book.

-nathan