List:       php-internals
Subject:    Re: [PHP-DEV] Performance Consideration of 1 class per file
From:       Jeff Moore <jeff () procata ! com>
Date:       2004-04-27 0:30:33

On Apr 23, 2004, at 11:37 PM, Alan Knowles wrote:

> PEAR is considering stipulating 1 class per file, for the packages. -
> one of the concerns raised is performance. While this is true for a
> non-cache compiled situation (where performance is less of an issue) -
> would anyone care to comment on the implications when using the Zend
> Optimizer or APC, on how significant the impact of this would be.

The Mojavi framework combines 19(?) single class files into a single
file to include.  I benchmarked this and if I recall correctly, the
combined file loaded in roughly half the time of including the
individual 19 files. The timing was only for including, no actual work
was performed.  No cache was used.  The benchmarks were done under OS
X, which as has been discussed on this list before, has a particularly
inefficient implementation of realpath (used in the including process).