List:       php-install
Subject:    [PHP-INST] php.ini file blues...
From:       Benjamin Smith <bens () saber ! net>
Date:       2000-07-31 22:13:25

Using RH 6.2, 2.2.16 kernel, latest apache (1.3.12), PHP 4.0.1pl2, compiled
with these options

./configure \
---with-pgsql=/usr/lib/pgsql \
--with-mysql \
--with-gd \
--with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs

and there's no php.ini!

if I look at phpinfo(); it reports that php.ini should be located in
/usr/local/lib - in reality there's a directory /usr/local/lib/php & no
php.ini.

I made a file in /usr/local/lib called "php.ini", and tried to set it up like
the directions at php.net indicate - but no cigar. Nothing changes.

Specifically, I need to set up SMTP so that I can use the mail() function, and
don't have/want SMTP/sendmail/pop3 running on my server.

But, whether I put this file in /usr/local/lib, or /usr/local/lib/php, makes no
difference - nothing happens.

In the file, I have the single line:
PHP_VALUE SMTP mail.pacbell.net

Everything else seems to be working perfectly - but for this glitch. What am I
doing wrong?

--
"Life is short. Live it!"