List:       php-i18n
Subject:    [PHP-I18N] installation problem
From:       maillist () admin ! absolutely ! com ! sg
Date:       2000-08-23 3:46:04

Hi pple on the list

I am a newbie who is trying to install
php on my server but i have encounter problems

Well the installation was successful after skimming thru
the INSTALL file but after i tried to test the php
the code i wrote <? phpinfo() ?> does not shoe me anything
and the browser prompt me to download if not i can actually view
the source withh the <??> tag!!!!

help what did i miss
The specific steps i went thru are as follow
downloaded apache source file
downloaded php4 source file

gunzip apache_1.3.x.tar.gz
2.  tar xvf apache_1.3.x.tar
3.  gunzip php-x.x.x.tar.gz
4.  tar xvf php-x.x.x.tar
5.  cd apache_1.3.x
6.  ./configure --prefix=/www
7.  cd ../php-x.x.x
8.  ./configure --with-mysql --with-apache=../apache_1.3.x --enable-track-vars
9.  make
10. make install
11. cd ../apache_1.3.x
12. for PHP 3: ./configure --activate-module=src/modules/php3/libphp3.a
    for PHP 4: ./configure --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a
13. make
14. make install

  Instead of this step you may prefer to simply copy the httpd binary
  overtop of your existing binary.  Make sure you shut down your
  server first though.

15. cd ../php-x.x.x
16. for PHP 3: cp php3.ini-dist /usr/local/lib/php3.ini
    for PHP 4: cp php.ini-dist /usr/local/lib/php.ini

  You can edit your .ini file to set PHP options.  If
  you prefer this file in another location, use
  --with-config-file-path=/path in step 8.

17. Edit your httpd.conf or srm.conf file and add:

     For PHP 3:   AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php3
     For PHP 4:   AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

  You can choose any extension you wish here.  .php is simply the one
  we suggest.

18. Use your normal procedure for starting the Apache server. (You must
    stop and restart the server, not just cause the server to reload by
    use a HUP or USR1 signal.)