List:       php-i18n
Subject:    Re: [PHP-I18N] intl 1.0.0RC1
From:       David_Zülke <dz () bitextender ! com>
Date:       2008-05-30 14:37:56

Hi Stas,

some things we noticed:

- I still think IntlDateFormatter vs the rest w/o Intl prefix is
inconsistent. Can't we just prefix it with "Intl" across the board?
Saves trouble down the road

- DateFormatter::parse() and DateFormater::localtime() should have the
second argument ($parse_pos) as a reference - it is supposed to
"return" the position where an error occured, in case it could not
parse the given value. ICU does have it this way, and I think PHP
should, too. It's pretty valuable information, and if only for
debugging purposes.
- IntlDateFormatter::format() does not accept DateTime (I think that
is a known issue)
- There is no way to use or retrieve milliseconds, so far

- What does Collator::sortWithKeys() do, exactly? Why not always have
this one? Why does the API have a "normal" sorting function and an
optimized one? Why not just always use the sorting with
ucol_getSortKey() keys? And why is there no Collator::asortWithKeys(),
to keep the API consistent?

- INTL_MAX_LOCALE_LEN is 64 - what if I have a longer locale string,
with options?

- http://php.net/manual/en/intl.examples.php uses a
"getLocaleByType()" method that does not exist

The only "critical" thing, I would say, is having the $parse_pos
argument as a reference, as changing that in a later release would
break code if people pass a value directly. The rest is pretty much
just questions I'm hoping you could answer, not actual problems ;)

Cheers,

David