List:       php-i18n
Subject:    Re: [PHP-I18N] Encoding Japanese characters.
From:       24.42.79.145
Date:       2003-07-31 3:16:26

Thanks for the tip.  I took a look at this but I finally managed to figure
out how to do this in PHP natively.

Just in case folks are interested:

if (mb_detect_encoding($japanese_string)=="SJIS") {
    $convmap = array(0x0000, 0xffff, 0, 0xffff);
    $str = mb_encode_numericentity($japanese_string, $convmap,
mb_detect_encoding($japanese_string));
    print $str;  // print encoded string
  }

"Tony Laszlo" <laszlo@issho.org> wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, David Powers wrote:
>
> > You need to find a method of converting Japanese to numeric entities if
> > that's the route you want to take.
>
> Yudit and the accompanying package called uniconv can do that.
>
> > I have had it happen to me by
> > accident, but for anyone who can read Japanese, it's a complete
> > nightmare to work with, so it's unlikely to be a function in great
> > demand.
>
> Not necessarily, but I would also advise avoidance of these
> special characters, if possible. Murphy's Law states that they
> _will_ appear as themselves, not as Japanese characters, at some
> time or another. :)
>

> --
> Tony Laszlo

http://www.issho.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pagename