List:       php-gtk-general
Subject:    Re: [PHP-GTK] Touble clearing GtkComboBoxEntry text list, some Glade
From:       Bernard Fouché <bernard.fouche () kuantic ! com>
Date:       2007-08-01 10:14:24

kksou wrote:
> Bernard Fouché wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, since my layout is done with Glade-2, such examples do
> > not help me much.
> >

> Glade is a wonderful tool that helps one layout the widget. But no matter
> how good Glade is, it won't do the programming part for you.
>
> Anyway, below is the Glade version of the same example:
> http://www.kksou.com/php-gtk2/articles/change-options-of-pulldown-menu-on-the-fly-using-GtkComboBoxEntry.php
>
> Just wanted to show you that Glade merely "simplifies" the GUI portion. The
> core php-gtk2 codes (that's does the signal handling and re-populating of
> combobox entries) are exactly the same.
>
> Also, as you work on more combobox/comboboxentry, you will find that
> eventually you will need to resort to handling models directly. It's cleaner
> and more powerful. For example, using insert_text(), you can only store one
> column of data. With models, you could store and display more than one
> columns of data in the pulldown menu. You could also use GtkTreeModelFilter
> and GtkTreeModelSort for comboboxes.
>
> Regards,
> /kksou
>
> [.. example code snipped .. ]
I know that, and eventually I can fiddle Glade defined widgets from my
code and focus only on parts that need fine tuning, maybe 10% of the
widgets involved during application 'birth'.

Later, once my layout is finalized and the application fits the required
needs, these 10% may grow bigger.

But if I started by manually coding all needed widgets it would have
taken more time for a lesser result.

Glade gives a big speed up and you can use it with the people that will
use the final application instead of writing code, show the result, then

So I'll keep using Glade as much as I can until I'm very close to finish
the application.

  Bernard