List:       php-gtk-general
Subject:    Re: [PHP-GTK] GTK and PDA/Smartphones
From:       Benjamin Smith <lists () benjamindsmith ! com>
Date:       2007-02-24 5:33:08

On Sunday 04 February 2007, Andreas Gjærum wrote:
> I've found that ASP.NET has functions which makes this possible
> and could even do it server-side, with no installation on the PDA
> necessary. This is just the thing we need, but no-one here has any
> experience with ASP.NET so would mean a lot of extra work. So my
> question is; can PHP-GTK do the same thing? Is it possible to make a
> program/script which is run from our server, who uses the built in
> functions of the PDA, specifically the fingerprint and camera functions?

Possibly, but probably not.

You'd have to get PHP-gtk compiled and running on your PDA, which might be a
non-starter. I've personally gotten PHP-GTK up and running under MSWindows,
MacOS, and Linux, so it really depends on the compatability environment.
(Does your PDA support XWindows? GNU C compiler?)

You'll have to do the porting, which means a significant porting effort to get
PHP, GTK, and supporting libraries compiled and installed on your PDA
thingie.

In short, I doubt it'll do what you need without some serious porting. But
there's a small possiblity, depending on the specific PDA you're using.
For example, some googling turns up the HPH project, which offers some glimmer
of hope:

http://www.php-mag.net/magphpde/magphpde_news/psecom,id,26023,nodeid,5.html

It'd be a long road ahead, though. If you can do it in ASP without installing
anything on your PDA, then that's probably your best bet.

-Ben